Are you dedicating/attaching volumes to this guest?  If they are minidisks,
then you've been given full pack minidisks which include cylinder 0 (note
the 10017 size) ..  and Linux is formatting the dasd label..

If they are dedicated volumes - then I'm not sure how it's going to act from
a z/VM point of view in terms of a valid VTOC.

Scott