John Campbell wrote:

�I.e., I don't think of that as being a limitation.

When I first used the IBM Linux Client for e-Business, one of my co-workers
brought over PuTTY and genned it for Linux... and had some folks remark
that "why bother when you have SSH and telnet?"

There's a good reason to bother.

Some terminal emulations don't work very well using SSH, for instance.

And, more importantly, it is nice to be able to tune the behaviour of the
backspace key... since some systems want to see 0x08 rather than the
0x7f or vice versa.  (It have seen different Linux distros set the backspace
key differently, BTW.)

So there are reasons to want a competent terminal emulator on Linux...
and, even more so, on Mac OS X.

I regularly use ssh to connect between OS X and various Linux systems in all combinations of directions, and have never had a problem.

Also, I've not had a problem with BS/DEL confusion in many years; I recall problems around about RHL 4 or 5, but those were sorted out years ago (and had nothing to do with ssh which wasn't around then).

The only time I have problems now is when I ssh from within screen and the target system doesn't have the proper definition for screen's terminal. However, I try to avoid that as I don't like nesting screens.

I use putty, but only for Windows to Linux and OS X, and not very often as I don't much like it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait