Hall, Ken (GTS) wrote:
Under zVM, it's a command ("IPL 100"), that that's where the confusion occurs.
At the point where the install is done, the install kernel is booted from the VM reader.
The ONLY hint of where the target system will eventually IPL from is where you tell
kickstart to install the bootloader.

But as I said, that's not specified anywhere in the doc.  If I were following
the logic rigidly, I might expect it to try to boot from the reader again, but
that's obviously wrong.

I never said it behaved improperly, it works as it should.  It's just not
documented very well, I think we're agreed on that.

The documents would, I think, be enormous if every aspect of expected
behaviour was described. I would expect that, if you IPL from a reader,
that the Linux kernel would be read from that reader, and that the
initial ramdisk would be read from the reader. Until those tasks are
accomplished, there really isn't enough intelligence to do anything
different.

A different approach would be to IPL some kind of bootloader as is done
on Intellish systems (syslinux or maybe grub can serve here, or PXE).
That is different from normal booting of Linux and would merit
documentation,

--

Cheers
John