On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Agblad Tore wrote:
> Good point, that is what I have been thinking of:
> How do I effectively solved this SHARing of disks.

> Anyone has something like this running with success ?

We have implemented some disk sharing at my shop.
To be specific, we're sharing the operating system disks.
The challenge has been maintaining the op sys because the skills
of the team revolve around applying service from the distributor
following the steps handed down from the distributor.

Anyone remember AFS?
I never fully understood why, but AFS seemed to have a fondness for
"write access here / read access there".  You really need
something like that for effective filesystem sharing.
Control the writing, then share the reading widely.

> Or have tried some of it ?

I recommend that you start small.
Try sharing one or more program packages, especially if you
have some home grown code.  (Where servicing it would fall outside
the methods used on other platforms and so entrenched in the vendors.)
Put it on a disk that can be mounted by all of your virtual penguins.

There was a shared disk at my place from before I was involved
which we have since made to work with the automounter.
I cannot say it is without some opportunities for improvement.
(I think we have a race condition in the automounter.)
Once it is mounted, everything works perfectly.

> We tried kernel in DSS, worked good, until I added a disk  :(

Pre-assign a range of addresses.  Burn that range into your INITRD.
Then either leave dummy disks in place or simply leave the addresses
empty (but keep that same INITRD).  Then when you need to add a disk
you simply plug it into one of those addresses.

I like the range 1b0-1bf because it has some operational
similarity to the 190-19f range used by CMS.  But there's nothing
magic about it.  (And the 18x range had meaning as did 1ax.)
Whatever you do, it helps if you think of virtual machines as
running within a pre-defined space.

Contuing to treat virtual Linux the same as discrete Linux
really throws away much of the value of virtualization.