> Yes, I think you're right.....but the concept I am trying to understand
> here is that you can not share an FCP based file system the same way
> it's possible to share (r/o) a 3390 based one...it can not be done via
> a simple r/o LINK statement in the user's VM directory entry, coupled
> with a non-journaling file system on the DASD itself.

Not necessarily non-journaling, but certainly coordinated journaling/cache
management if any writes are done.

> To share r/o FCP based file systems, you will need to set up a some
> sort
> of clustered file system (e.g., AFS) possibly along with a Linux
> controller or two, plus networking must be up and available as well. Do
> I understand that correctly?

Some signaling mechanism has to be available. Not necessarily network-based,
but some way of modifying cache status is necessary.

> If I do have that right, then sharing FCP based file systems is more
> effort than sharing ones kept on "normal" S/390 DASD devices.....

No argument there. It takes planning and extra effort to do it safely.