From: Linux on 390 Port [linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Post
[mp...@novell.com]
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 17:52
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Dasd_diag_mod question

>>> On 9/11/2009 at 11:36 AM, Larry Uher <larry...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I guess my question would be why is a complex EXEC needed to do a
> normal system administration task?

It's not all that complex, just a lot of parameter parsing and error checking
surrounding a couple of lines of code that actually do the work.  The reason
why it's useful is so that people using VDISKs don't need to have their Linux
admins make any changes to the Linux system itself, and so it doesn't appear to
be different from midrange Linux systems.  Eliminating these platform specific
differences helps ease acceptance of the platform.  It's also good system
management practice in that you're not modifying distribution-provided scripts
that will get over-written at some point by maintenance or an upgrade.  Saves
time, less hassle in the long run.

> A second question is why didn't
> Novell provide a straightforward method for doing this and document it
> in a manual (without using a complex 3rd party EXEC) ?

When SWAPGEN was written, the Linux distribution providers had much bigger fish
to fry.  After it was written, there wasn't a need for them to do anything,
since a solution already existed.  Limited resources, re-inventing wheels,
etc., etc.  And, given the growth and evolution of the platform, there are
still far bigger fish that need frying, perhaps more than before.