On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 1:33 AM, Marcy
Cortes<marcy.d.cor...@wellsfargo.com> wrote:

> Question, what is the value of using diag for swapping to vdisk?
> Even if it is a more efficient driver, you're swapping to memory.  How much
> does it save?

Hey, what's happening. Wasn't I supposed to ask those questions? ;-)

I'm afraid the desire to do this comes from lack of performance data
and combining different recommendations (assuming that 1+1=2 in Linux
on z/VM Performance). Some of the observations relate to older Linux
levels, and each time we publish that a "VM thing" performs better
than the "LPAR thing" the folks in IBM went to change code to reverse
that, one way or the other.

When you swap to VDISK, the difference today between FBA and DIAG is
marginal at real life swap rates (even swap into DCSS is in the same
range). When performance does not make difference, ease of
configuration does. With a fragile setup you run a bigger risk of
breaking it and losing more than the savings you tried to make.

> And how much swapping would you need to be doing for any savings to be
> worthwhile?  Wouldn't it be simpler to just increase the VM size to an amount
> that minimizes swapping?  Or are there servers you *want* swapping a lot for
> some reason and if so why?

Sure, buying more storage to avoid swapping is make some people happy.
As an IBM Support person replied to a customer: "If you are swapping
or paging, you don't have enough memory. Then anything can happen and
I can't help you with that. Buy more..."  ;-)

It depends on the variation in memory requirements and the utilization
of the server. If you travel with the entire family only once a year,
it makes little sense to drive alone to the office every day in that
big truck - (oh, maybe that analogy is not so obvious over there ;-)

Rob
--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software