Rick,

Thanks for the continued discussion. You write:

> there are two "console server" concepts ... LOG servers and
> collection of virtual console traffic, and then also CONTROL
> servers (terminal servers) where you get a command shell
> without the 3215 pain.

So let's think about this. Why do you need 3270 sessions today (as it
pertains to Linux)? I can think of these four major reasons:

1) To install Linux
2) To start Linux
3) To view console messages
4) To stop Linux
it could be aruged #5) - to issue commands - but I hope we agree most
people use ssh

For #1 - this is a bootstrap issue - you need to install Linux once or
twice in order to start cloning - a necessary evil, but hopefully no more
after the bootstrap (maybe also for an emergency).

For #2 - we have XAUTOLOG - if the user ID boots CMS, then we can use the
PROFILE EXEC to do some setup and boot Linux, otherwise the Linux IDs can
boot Linux directly. This is well-known.

For #3 - this is the main reason why I ask - usually we don't care about
the Linux's 3270 consoles - however, sometimes we're interested in a
certain info/warning/error message - usually they get lost unless you're
spooling the console somehow - so being able to access console logs is
important.

For #4 - we have SIGNAL SHUTDOWN, or "shutdown -h now"/halt from Linux -
so should not be an issue.

So, #2 and #4 fall out, and #1 is only needed from time to time. Therefore
#3 is the most important.

You write:
> What has been discussed is LOG servers and collection of
> virtual console traffic, and then also CONTROL servers
> terminal servers)

To me "LOG servers" are the most important. If I *really* want to see the
console in real time, I can still log onto 3270, but most times, I just
want access to the console history.

Then you say:
> Regarding terminal servers using IUCV ... just one word ...
but you add:
> ahhhhhhhh!!!
and
> nice; very nice

Well, which is it? (that's more than one word :))

Yes we have to be sure the IUCV driver is loaded, but it then affords us a
Linux-centric approach to capturing each Linux system's console output. So
I tend to agree with "nice; very nice" over "ahhhhhhhh!!!" :))

Kudos to the writers of the terminal server code, and the accompanying
document!

"Mike MacIsaac" <mike...@us.ibm.com>   (845) 433-7061