Thanks for the response - I just need a little translation into IBM
sysprog-ese to get this concept clear.

I am running a windows desktop so I downloaded Xming to use as the Xserver -
It installed OK - I then ran Xlaunch to get it going - xming.exe appears as
a running process in Task Manager - to configure I selected display number 0
(zero) and accepted all other defaults.

On my Zlinux I issued
-bash-4.0# set DISPLAY=20.250.180.96:0,0;export DISPLAY
Then to test I issued
-bash-4.0# xeyes
Error: Can't open display:

I can ping 20.250.180.96 from zLinux and in a Putty SSH session so I know I
have IP connectivity.

I'm not sure what " make sure you have run 'xhost +remote.linux.system' on
the desktop system" means in the context of the above config.  I used xeyes
as a test because I don't have xterm (my Zlinux is Fedora11 and xterm
doesn't appear when I enter z + TAB in bash.

More help needed as I am still in the deep-end floundering  ;)

Bern....