If I recall aright, cygwin is a real win since it automagically copes
with "ssh -X".

Other than that, are you sure you've done the equivalent of xhost +
<hostname> so that your laptop will allow the incoming connection?  Is
your Windows firewalling set up to allow such a connection to make it
into the laptop?  (As I seem to recall, the Windows firewall is
usually delivered to only let malware port connections into the
machine...   :-)   )

(All right, back in Windows 3.11 days, I tended to rename win.com to
lose.com... and W95 took the opportunity for that little irony out of
my hands.)

Why you are running to a Windoze workstation, though...    :-)   :-)   :-)

(Don't mind me--  almost 9 years inside IBM had be spoiled since IBM's
C4EB was a whole lot better than the Windoze builds in terms of RAM
and DASD use... and the Lotus Workplace actually ran faster and felt
more stable...  followed by 2+ years as a contractor at Verizon where
"there ain't no Linux access to the VPN" grated on my nerves...)

-soup

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 8:19 AM, David Boyes <dbo...@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On 10/5/09 11:00 PM, "Bernie VK2KAD" <vk2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am running a windows desktop so I downloaded Xming to use as the Xserver -
>> It installed OK - I then ran Xlaunch to get it going - xming.exe appears as
>> a running process in Task Manager - to configure I selected display number 0
>> (zero) and accepted all other defaults.
>
> So far, so good.
>
>> On my Zlinux I issued
>> -bash-4.0# set DISPLAY=20.250.180.96:0,0;export DISPLAY
>
> That should be a period (.) between the last pair of 0s, eg
>
> set DISPLAY=foo.bar.baz:0.0;export DISPLAY
>
> You're specifying video-adapter.display attached to adapter with that :0.0.
> The comma is a syntax error.
>
>> Then to test I issued
>> -bash-4.0# xeyes
>> Error: Can't open display:
>>
>> I can ping 20.250.180.96 from zLinux and in a Putty SSH session so I know I
>> have IP connectivity.
>
> There's one more step...
>
>> I'm not sure what " make sure you have run 'xhost +remote.linux.system' on
>> the desktop system" means in the context of the above config.
>
> On top of connectivity between client and server, X also has a crude
> permission scheme that controls what hosts are allowed to project client
> windows onto your screen.  The whole X protocol is a series of transactions
> between the client application and the X server -- the X server is basically
> a rendering engine for a set of standard primitives supplied by the client,
> and sends mouse movements and key presses back to the client as standardized
> event structures.
>
> The xhost application is the key to authorizing a host to project events
> onto your X server and/or receive events back -- if you haven't told the X
> server on your Windows machine that clients on "remote.linux.system" are
> allowed to project things, you get the Can't open display error (although in
> your case, I think the comma in the DISPLAY spec is what's messing you up).
> You can get there, but the host doesn't have permission to use that display.
>
> Running 'xhost +remote.linux.system' allows the remote.linux.system host to
> use the display currently pointed to by the DISPLAY environment variable.
> You could just do "xhost +" (which allows the whole world to connect), but
> that also allows ANYONE to inject ANY X event into your X server -- or grab
> any event coming FROM your X server, like typing your password.
>
> You typically need to do this on the local system running the X server
> (there's a chicken/egg problem here in that you need to authorize the remote
> system to connect and do things, but you can't do that until you authorize
> the remote system....), so there's some special case code in xhost and the X
> server to check if they're on the same system and let the request through.
>
> Most non-Unix PC implementations finesse this by just automatically
> authorizing everyone, but they really shouldn't.
>
>> I used xeyes
> [...]

John R. Campbell         Speaker to Machines          souperb at gmail dot com
MacOS X proved it was easier to make Unix user-friendly than to fix Windows