> Did anyone form here see this?
> Thoughts??

Couple observations:

1) They're counting only RHEL and SLES. Doesn't count Ubuntu, which seems to
power most of the netbooks where there seems to be significant expansion both
on the desktop and in the data center (same OS on desktop and server gets
points).

2) As noted: in a tight economy, don't fix it if it ain't broke. If people have
working stuff, they aren't messing with it. We've finally made the point IMHO
that people are the expensive part of IT, and that's what companies are
economizing on: people. It takes a lot less people to run what you have rather
than try to do something new.

3) I think the virtualization angle is somewhat specious. People just aren't
buying hardware if they can avoid it, thus fewer licenses.

4) The support market for Linux is finally maturing to the point that the major
vendors aren't the only game in town, and there is a lot of customized
distribution creation going on, which isn't counted in this. Cf Scientific
Linux, embedded Linux devices, etc.

Seemed FUDish.

--d b