On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 06:33:00PM -0400, Sue Sivets wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are any known problems with NPIV and Suse 10
> SP2? We're trying to add NPIV to one of our Suse 10 test systems, and
> having a spectacularly unsuccessful time.
>
> When we turned the NPIV bit on, we lost access to all the fcp dasd that
> had been working without any problems, so we turned NPIV off on the
> original channel, and added another channel;  all the defined fcp
> devices started working again, and then we turned NPIV on for the new
> channel. VM can see the new channel and the addresses that have been
> dedicated to the Suse test system. Suse can see the channel, and reports
> the following during boot:
>
> scsi3 : zfcp
> zfcp: The adapter 0.0.f101 reported the following characteristics:
> WWNN 0x5005076400c36e0d, WWPN 0xc05076fd6b000784, S_ID 0x00701401,
> adapter version 0x4, LIC version 0x70e, FC link speed 4 Gb/s
> zfcp: Switched fabric fibrechannel network detected at adapter 0.0.f101.
>
> However, when we go into yast2, the fcp function cannot (or will not)
> define a new device on the new NPIV channel address. It sees the channel
> address when it does the scan during startup (the address shows up in
> the add a device pulldown box), but most of the time it doesn't seem to
> like the WWPN, and we've tried every WWPN we've been able to find that
> looked like it might work. We can see the channel and the address on the
> HMC, and the switch. So far, it looks like we can see the NPIV channel
> where ever we look, but that's about it.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Investigating the situation with san_disc as already suggested in the
other responses is a good approach.

>From the text above i would understand that you see the WWPNs, but not
the LUNs. Switching on NPIV gives the subchannel in Linux a unique and
especially a new WWPN, in the example above the WWPN
0xc05076fd6b000784. Depending on your storage server, you have to
configure this WWPN as "host connection" or something similar and
allow it access to the volumes it is supposed to access.  I would
advice to check the configuration on the storage server.

--
Christof Schmitt