From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2009 5:07 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: zLinux and Tapes

 >>> On 10/16/2009 at  3:59 PM, "Melancon, Ruddy" <melanc...@dot.state.al.us>
 >>> wrote:
-snip-
> The tape we are looking at is the TS7700 VTS.  This will work fine for zOS
> but what about zVM and zLinux.  How do I use this solution to backup and
> restore zVM and zLinux systems for disaster recovery?
>
> Is it feasible to use this tape solution with TSM on zLinux?  We would like
> to merge the aforementioned TSM usage to a zLinux platform.

The TSM server for Linux on System z will only work with SCSI-attached tape
devices.  From what I read about the TS7700 VTS, it is FICON only.  So, that
sounds like a "no."  There are other backup/restore software vendors that
didn't make the same silly mistake Tivoli did.  I would recommend talking to
them.