On Thursday, 10/29/2009 at 11:44 EDT, Ray Waters
<ray.wat...@opensolutions.com> wrote:
> I don't know why the LS -L shows HTC.6500 etc We are running on a z9 BC.

The value has nothing to do with the kind of CPU you are using, but the
kind of disks you have.  Perhaps "HTC" means "Hitachi"?  I believe the
values are taken from self-description data returned by Read Configuration
Data CCWs.  If it follows the IBM model, buried in there is a value that
represents the number of configured paths into the storage device.  Dunno
what NEDs/NEQs (the things returned by RCD) Linux is using.

It's useful to compare two id values when you want to know "Is it really
the same device and not a copy?"   It's useless, however, as an
administrative handle for the device.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott