Hi Marcy -

Are you issuing userdel?   or editing /etc/passwd?  (your reference to it
makes me ask)...    been awhile since I played with things like this -- but
I recall /etc/shadow maybe getting resolved by 'something' and putting
entries in passwd.

Do the entries show up at the end of passwd?  Or 'back in place'?   Just
thinking of clues..

Scott