>>> On 11/13/2009 at  4:41 PM, Mark Ver <mark...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> What I was really interested in was the Linux side configuration to add the
> disk permanently so that it would be online during boot up.
>
> Like were most people ...
> -  just running a big script calling dasd_configure as Mark Post had
> suggested

This brings the volume online _and_ creates the hwcfg file for it, thus making
it "permanent" in the sense it will be online when you reach runlevel 3 at the
next reboot.  Even better, it's supported.

> -  or do most just do chccwdev and then run mkinitrd and zipl

This will not make it permanent in any practical sense,

> -  or copy an old hwcfg-dasd-bus-ccw-* file, run mkinitrd/zipl if needed,
> and reboot.

Not recommended, but you get to keep all the pieces.

> -  or modify the "options dasd_mod" line with a dasd=<dasd-list> parameter
> in the appropriate modprobe.conf
> -  or add a dasd=<dasd-list> in their kernel parameters
> -  or use yast to add the disks (including patiently adding it all one at a
> time during installation).

Also supported, but for large numbers of volumes, certainly not recommended.

The thing you need to understand about the Linux 2.6 kernels is that the system
will detect any and all DASD volumes that are accessible to it during the boot
process, or later if the volume is ATTACHed or configured online to the LPAR.
The need to have the 'dasd="unit1,unit2,unit3"' kernel parameter isn't there
any longer, per se.  If you want to have read-only disks and the like, that is
still somewhat useful.

The real question is how do you ensure that volumes you want online are indeed
online after the next reboot.  For one or two, use YaST.  For bunches, use
dasd_configure.  Your fingers will thank you for it.