Rob van der Heij wrote:
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM, John Summerfield
<deb...@herakles.homelinux.org> wrote:

I had it happen a few days ago, and I've seen in in the past. I assumed that
the listserv got confused, or someone restored a mail queue that had already
been processed, or something.

Yes, it happens a few days after the post. It's not uncommon for MTA's
to try delivery for a few days before giving up and apparently return
the item to the sender. I fear we need Harry or Martha to identify
which subscriber does this...

Rob
It's recurred, and I have some evidence. Email from me left here:
          smtp-inbound4.marist.edu with ESMTP id CA9RyR7qUlL9v5f5 for
          <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU>; Mon, 28 Dec 2009 18:13:22 -0500 (EST)

That's the first Received: header verifiable outside my site.

It spent a few minutes bouncing around Marist and friends:
VMMAIL2.MARIST.EDU (IBM VM SMTP Level 540) via TCP with ESMTP ; Tue, 29
Dec 2009

Then it got wrapped up and returned. This is the first header from the
message returning it:
VM.MARIST.EDU (LMail V1.2b/1.8b) with BSMTP id 4608; Tue, 29 Dec 2009
18:18:25 -0500

and arrived here:
        by ns.demo.lan (Postfix) with ESMTP id A2E4AC2C016
        for <deb...@herakles

Presumably folk at Marist can correlate this to their logs.

Note that, while most timestamps are in times local to Marist, mine are not.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait