Bernie,
I tried similar (ssh with X11 forwarding and xlivecd on my desktop to provide X
server), again, no problem. It must be something on your SLES11 side. What
software groups have you installed ? I unselected all three boxes under
Graphical Environment when I installed SLES11. I kept Base System, 32-bit,
Documentation and Minimal System. Just those four.
 Marian Gasparovic
"The mere thought hadn't  even  begun  to speculate about the merest
possibility of crossing my mind."