So when you set X forward in Putty (which sets your DISPLAY variable) instead
of setting DISPLAY yourself, you don't get those error messages ? No other
change ?
I use only X forwarding as I access SLES11 behind firewall, so I cannot try the
manual setting (I always get cannot open display).

 Marian Gasparovic
"The mere thought hadn't  even  begun  to speculate about the merest
possibility of crossing my mind."