From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
Sue Sivets
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:00 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Rhel 5.4 install problems

I'm trying to install Rhel 5.4  under VM, and it's not doing what I
think it should be doing as far as the redhat.conf file is concerned. I
installed Rhel 5.3 a couple of months ago (using the redhat parm & conf
files), so I copied both the parm and conf files from that system to the
191 disk for the new machine, and updated the conf file with the correct
information. Then I copied the kernal & initrd files from the Rhel 5.4
dvd. I think everything is setup correctly, and I'm not getting any
messages that look like error messages, but after I punch the files to
the reader and ipl it, I'm getting prompted for the dasd and network
information, as if the software either doesn't see the cmsconffile info
in the parm file, or as if it doesn't even know the conf file exists. On
the 5.3 install, the system prompted me for the password that I wanted
to use for root, the 5.4 system is not doing that, but it does tell me
when I can log in to the new system as user root, using SSH. Of course
when I try to do that, I get prompted for roots password. If there is a
default, I don't know what it is, and so far everything I've tried in
both upper and lower case has not worked.

The redhat.parm file is:

    root=/dev/ram0 ro ip=off ramdisk_size=40000
    CMSDASD=191 CMSCONFFILE=redhat.conf

The redhat.conf file is:

    HOSTNAME="red54.idp.com"
    DASD="0500-8f27"
    NETTYPE="qeth"
    IPADDR="192.168.250.245"
    SUBCHANNELS="0.0.E017,0.0.E018,0.0.E019"
    NETWORK="192.168.250.0"
    NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
    BROADCAST="192.168.250.255"
    SEARCHDNS="idp.com"
    GATEWAY="192.168.250.161"
    DNS="192.168.150.156"
    MTU="1500"
    LAYER2="0"
    VSWITCH="1"
    PORTNAME=" "
    PORTNO="0"

Does anyone have any idea of how to make this install work? I don't
really mind having to enter the information manually, but the password
part of the problem has stopped me cold, and I don't see any way of
going any further without fixing whatever is causing the password promt
to not happen. If anyone knows what the default password is, I would
appreciate knowing what it is, so I can at least get logged on and
hopefully get the system installed. I can always change the root
password later on.

Thank you to anyone who's got any ideas.

Sue Sivets

--
 Suzanne Sivets
 Systems Programmer