Try mkinitrd, zipl and reboot?:
 possible your sles10 initrd has a copy of the pre-change /etc/multipath/conf
which still says user_friendly_names configuration file is
/var/lib/multipath/bindings; I think if linuxrc script starts multipath early
in the boot multipath'll use the old multipath.conf from initrd, behave
accordingly and never look at your /etc/multipath.conf

This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.