We had a situation the other day where one of our z10's was taking
"thermals" for lack of a better word.  The kernel dutifully reported:

Feb 11 15:08:29 zsles10sp3ctl kernel: sclp_config: cpu capability
changed.

sclp_config: cpu capability changed.

The CE replaced the MRU on the box and all is well.  But this led us too
look a little bit closer.  On the lpar in question (an IFL lpar on a
502):

Ready; T=0.01/0.01 14:02:56

q cap

14:03:08 CAPABILITY: PRIMARY 1760     SECONDARY 904

And

zsles10sp3ctl:/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0 # cat capability

1760

It looks like the kernel uses the wrong value.  IBM says that the
"secondary" number is the IFL capability (lower is faster).