<berry.vansleeu...@atosorigin.com> wrote:
> However, we investigated this and
> at this time we can't sync with the AD domain. So for now we'd like to
> get the samba working just like we do on zOS.

Are you saying that you aren't being allowed to let the SLES10 system become a
member of the AD domain?  Is there some reason for this?

Someone else mentioned SWAT.  I tend to not like that approach as it gives
non-privileged people too much information about the server.

I just checked, and there is a Windows program from the creator of PuTTY that
might help.  It's called plink.exe, and it allows command-line access to the
PuTTY SSH backend.  You could put plink on a shared drive and write a script to
invoke it after getting the user's Linux userid and password, then invoking
smbpasswd via plink.  It seems plink also supports key pairs in place of
passwords.