In the z/OS UNIX version of the pax command, there is way to specify that the
files being extracted (or added) are to be converted from one code page to a
different one. One use of this is to convert from ISO8859-1 to IBM-1047
(EBCDIC) during the extract (or add). Is there a way to do this as simply in
Linux? That is, translate from one code page to another during the tar unwind?

The command in question looks like:

pax -ofrom=IBM-1047,to=ISO8859-1 -wf somefile.pax ...list of files to add...

I'd like to do this on Linux so that I could do a single pax command on z/OS,
binary ftp the pax file to Linux, then unwind the pax file on Linux twice -
once "as is" and the second time translating from EBCDIC (IBM-1047) to ASCII
(ISO8859-1). I could do this on z/OS, but that would cost more CPU on z/OS,
take more filesystem space to store both versions, and longer to ftp both
versions.

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell