From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
Alan Altmark
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2010 12:25 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Shared fcp between two linux guests

On Thursday, 06/24/2010 at 10:59 EDT, Richard Troth <vmcow...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > NPIV is not turned on at the lpar level, but it is turned on at the
SAN
> > level.
>
> If you're sharing the same physical FCP adapter(s) between the two
> Linux guests, then you probably need NPIV (at the LPAR level).
>
> I cannot imagine how your other Linux guests are able to share a LUN
> if the storage frame sees the same Linux-side WWPN (FCP WWPN).  Since
> you indicated that your SuSE guests *can* share a LUN between them, I
> have to ask if they are using different physical FCP adapters or if
> there is NPIV in play for the FCP adapter(s) they are using.  What's
> the deal there?
>
> The only time I have been able to share a LUN, the storage frame has
> always seen different "HBA-side" WWPNs, whether physically different
> FCP adapters or with NPIV.
>
> Try reversing the order in qhich the guests are brought up to test
things.

> > Jun 21 15:36:52 tdcrac02 kernel: zfcp: The adapter 0.0.8001 reported
the
> > following characteristics:
> > Jun 21 15:36:52 tdcrac02 kernel: zfcp: Switched fabric fibrechannel
> > network detected at adapter 0.0.8001.
> > Jun 21 15:36:52 tdcrac02 kernel: zfcp: unit erp failed on unit
> > 0x0020000000000000 on port 0x5001738001820141  on adapter 0.0.8001

If this is an older machine without NPIV, that "unit erp" error has been
seen when the guest was not authorized using the LUN Access Control
program.

'erp' is 'error recovery program'.  The device driver gets failures at
the LUN, port, and unit levels (I think).  Perhaps Ray Higgs can shed
some light on it.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or
visit http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390