I am trying to boot from an NFS root-fs.  I was able to figure out my
errors, which involved copying the udevtrigger command to the initrd and
running it just before udevsettle in my init script:

/sbin/udevd --daemon
/sbin/udevtrigger
/sbin/udevsettle

and adding all of the network related setup scripts (etc/sysconfig/network
and network-scripts) to the initrd:

echo "NETWORKING=yes" > /etc/sysconfig/network
echo "ONBOOT=yes" > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
echo "BOOTPROTO=dhcp" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
echo "DEVICE=eth1" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
echo 'OPTIONS="layer2=1"' >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
echo "SUBCHANNELS=0.0.0800,0.0.0801,0.0.0802"
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1

# Turn on network
echo 0.0.0800,0.0.0801,0.0.0802 > /sys/bus/ccwgroup/drivers/qeth/group
echo 1 > /sys/bus/ccwgroup/drivers/qeth/0.0.0800/layer2
echo 1 > /sys/bus/ccwgroup/drivers/qeth/0.0.0800/online
echo "alias eth1 qeth" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
echo `ifup eth1`

After those changes, I was able to boot from the network with my initrd.

Thank you to all who replied.

 Thang                                       2455 South Road          (Embedded
 Pham                                                            image moved to
                                                                          file:
                                                                  pic04585.gif)

 Phone:    (845) 433-7567                    Poughkeepsie, NY
                                            12601

 e-mail:   thang.p...@us.ibm.com