>>> On 7/21/2010 at 01:21 PM, Ed Long <rdhm...@prodigy.net> wrote:
> We have a z10 running VM 5.4 in LPAR #1.
> The box has 2 half speed CP's, 2 IFL's, and 2 ZAAP's.
> We want to modify a specific zLinux guest, call it zLinux1, to only run on
> the IFL's.
> So far, we can get it to see all 6 engines which is not good.
> Sorry if this is obvous to some, what would be the best practice for doing
> this?
> Can we do it all in the Directory?

Yes.

> Can we do the configuration in such a way that it survives reboots and vm
> IPL's?

Yes.  In the USER DIRECT entry for the guest, add
COMMAND DEFINE CPU 00 IFL

If the Linux system is not consuming more than ~ 80% of a real CPU, it should
only have one virtual CPU defined.  If it really needs more than that, then add
another COMMAND DEFINE CPU xx IFL statement for each one.

For this to take effect, you'll need to shutdown the Linux guest and log it
off.  You could issue the #CP DEFINE CPU 00 IFL command instead, but make sure
your Linux guest is all the way down, as it will cause a virtual machine system
reset and clear.