What's compression set to? I know that has other implications, also.  Look
at the makesparsefile option for restore.

"Tivoli Storage Manager backs up a sparse file as a regular file if client
compression is off. Set the compression option to yes to enable file
compression when backing up sparse files to minimize network transaction
time and maximize server storage space. "

Thanks