I might just add that despite it's manpage assertion, rsync isn't too
intelligent about it at all.
My (non z) testing indicated that if you re-use the same target file, after
the initial run "cp" is significantly more efficient. The initial run for
both is comparable as the target needs to be created.
Didn't test tar as it wasn't relevant (to me) at that juncture.

Shane ....