From: Alan Altmark <alan_altm...@us.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: IFL's, VM, and Linux
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Date: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 12:15 AM

On Monday, 07/26/2010 at 12:55 EDT, Sam Bass <sam.b...@mclaneco.com>
wrote:
> I guess I don't understand the difference between
>
> ****VM Listserve Suggestion****
> MACHINE ESA 2
> CPU 02
> CPU 03
> COMMAND SET VCONFIG MODE LINUX
> COMMAND DEFINE CPU 02 03 TYPE IFL
> ****
> And
> ****VM Listserve Suggestion****
> MACHINE ESA 2
> CPU 02
> CPU 03
> ****
>
> This is a q vconfig looks like
> q vconfig
> MODE = LINUX

If you're running in a Linux mode LPAR with IFLs, there IS no difference.
Go look at the table on the DEFINE CPU command.  The problem, as Mark Pace
pointed out, pops up when you're in a z/VM mode LPAR.

The first one shown above will work in all cases, even though it isn't
always necessary.

And I agree with Mark Post that the above should be changed to be CPU 00
and 01 for simplicity and clarity.

Alan Altmark
z/VM Development
IBM Endicott