>>> On 8/3/2010 at 11:14 AM, <bruce.light...@its.ms.gov> wrote:
> We are in the research and planning stage of a project that will probably
> be an SAP implementation with DB2 as the database back-end.
-snip-
> With that as background, I am looking for input from current SAP shops on
> the process of determining the platform for implementing SAP - both the app
> server portion and the DB portion.
> Why should I choose/avoid Linux on Z for any portion ( I will admit that I
> am biased toward Linux on Z ) and is there a benefit from running on DB2
> LUW over DB2 z/OS or vice-versa ?

SAP does not certify having the database (regardless of what flavor) on Linux
for System z.  The rest of the setup can be on Linux for System z, but not that
one piece.

One of my larger customers is running SAP on Linux for System z (using z/VM),
with DB2 running on z/OS.  They're trying to move away from AIX for this
particular use.  They have two CECs for redundancy (both are running z/OS, z/VM
and Linux), dynamic routing and VIPA to everything, etc.  Big and complex, but
it runs well for them.