On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 09:41:10AM -0500, McKown, John wrote:

> "vale" is Latin for "goodbye". Oracle is apparently closing down
>  their support for OpenSolaris. Oracle does not appear to believe
>  the open software is of much importance. They don't seem to have
>  much interest that I can see in Java either. And suing Google over
>  Android and its "improper" use of Java. I don't understand what
>  this latter is about.

As I understanding, Oracle are asserting that Dalvik, Google's JVM,
infringes on various Oracle patents.  The talking points advanced by
various Oracle supporters appear to be that by performing an
independent re-implementation of the JVM, rather than buying the
terrible J2SE JVM (which Sun never open sourced), Google have stolen
Sunacle's valuable intellectual property.

Since it's an independent reimplmentation, based on bits of the
Harmony project, itself an independent reimplementation, patents are
the only weapon Oracle have in this case.

The fact Oracle appear to be going after someone for selling a
Java-based product without giving Oracle money ought to give RedHat,
IBM, etc pause.  The FUD it hands Apple, Microsoft, etc, will no doubt
be very handy for them.

--
Rodger Donaldson                rodg...@diaspora.gen.nz