Are Nagios and local scripts waking up needlessly? or are they doing
legitimate work even if it is wasteful?
David Kreuter

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: How to convince others. Was: Re: mono keep guest active - ban
the blips.
From: Berry van Sleeuwen <berry.vansleeu...@xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, August 19, 2010 3:49 pm
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU

That's a good way to make things clear. Especially to management.

Here is a challenge. We are in the process of enrolling new machines
into production. Part of that is that they want to force us to install a
general monitoring tool (nagios and local scripting). We noticed quite a
dramatic increase in resource usage. CPU at least doubles and the guests
all go to Q3. Upon our comments on wasting resources, poorer storage
handling etc. management responds "so then we have to buy storage". So
we now have to write a bussinesscase why we NOT should increase storage
to handle the load. What are convincing arguments? After a few years of
discussing this over and over again I'm out of ideas.

Thanks, Berry.

send email to lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or