I've been noticing this behavior out of putty for sometime but until now it
hasn't really effected me.  Now I'm try to format some output on the screen
and it's messing me up.  Here is a small sample.
Notice that if you use a character in every position they all show up in the
correct space, but it appears that some places, if there is a space, it
works as a tab.

Hmm - thought I would take it a step further and do the same with a C
program.  It formatted correctly,  so it seems to be a rexx/regina issue.
 Does anyone know if there is some sort of setting within regina to control
this behavior?

sles001:~> ./test.rxx
....+....1....+....2....+....3
col1