Yes, there are \t in the source.  The question is, How did they get there?
Is it the editor?
Well that's easy enough to test.  The file was created with "the"  so I
modified the file using vi. delete the tabs, and insert spaces.
Now when I run it, it displays properly.  So maybe it's "the",  except that
I also used "the" to create the test.c program and it does not have the same
problems.

--
Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer