Please forgive the very lame and ignorant question. I want to learn
something totally new to me. And part of that is structuring
documentation. I've heard of all of the above. My only background in
this at all was with a very old system based on SGML called Waterloo
Script, which I think evolved into IBM's Document Composition Facility
(DCF). I liked it. This was in the days of the IBM XTs. When IRMA cards
ruled the 3270 emulation scene and SPF and XEDIT were the editors of the
mainframe (S/370 back then!).

Now, I have pretty much loaded up all those nice document composition
thingies on my Linux desktop. And I actually bought a Kindle version of
"DocBook 5: The Definitive Guide" to read. And I'm trying to read it.
Also, just to frustrate me, I have copied a 90 page document from work
which is on our Disaster Recovery. It was in MS Word. I opened it in
OpenOffice. And saved it in DocBook format. I've been using two
processors on it. One is simple gvim. The other is XMLMind XML Editor
from http://www.xmlmind.com/xmlmind . I'm using their freely licensed,
closed source, personal editor. I gotta start somewhere.

Anyway, I'm now wondering what others in the Linux area use. One of the
above, or something else? If you use DocBook, what editor do you use? Is
it free, or at least have a free trial period? I've tried to use Lyx.
Didn't have much luck in that I kept putting into a 100% CPU loop
somehow. I see some things called "XML Copy Editor"; "Texmaker"; "Kile";
and even Eclipse. I am overwhelmed. Any guidance or pointers to how to
use these tools would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and I can't find any way to actually convert DocBook to something
readable, like HTML or PDF. There are a lot of programs which start with
docbook2---, but they don't seem to support XML, only SGML DocBook.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><