> I liked Kedit on MS-DOS quite a bit. Hum, wonder if I can find that old
> software and run it in DosBox?

I use Kedit for Windows, which works fine on Windows XP, anyway. It's a
commercial product though, not open source.

"KEDIT for Windows 1.6 is officially supported on Windows XP, Windows Vista,
and Windows 7."  See <http://www.kedit.com/kedit.upgrade.html>.

However:

Before ordering KEDIT for Windows, you should be aware of the current status of
the product:
Mansfield Software Group is no longer actively working on major upgrades of the
program, and we are in the process of gradually winding the company down.

Because organizations that use KEDIT, as well as individuals who change jobs,
etc., may have a continuing need for additional KEDIT licenses, we plan to
continue selling KEDIT through our web site until at least the end of 2011.

We plan to provide e-mail technical support for KEDIT, on a part-time basis,
until at least June 2012.

See <http://www.kedit.com/online_orders.html>.

It costs $129 US.