LDL format was the first format used by Linux. It was quickly replaced
by CDL format. The main difference is that a disk in CDL format is seen
as being full by all other operating systems (VM, VSE OS/390). However,
they see a LDL fromat disk as being empty. Thus if you are going to run
anything other than Linux on your Z196 you must make a special effort to
keep the other systems from over writing the Linux disks in LDL format.
The other systems will not automatically over write a CDL format disk as
they think it is already full of data that can not be deleted.

DIAG works with CDL format. As DIAG was added to Linux after CDL format
was in wide use, I don't know if support for LDL was added to DIAG. (It
probably was.)

The only advantage to LDL is you may be able to have 1 additional 4K
block of Linux data on the disk.

There is no reason why you can't put /boot on a DIAG disk. There are
some restrictions to where you can put /boot.

--
Stephen Frazier
Information Technology Unit