LDL is kind of a misnomer. It only means that the disk is all blocked
consistently (at 4K), which is more good than bad.

Last I recall, you could still boot from LDL just fine. (It is the original
layout for Linux/390 CKD.)

Last time I measured, I was disappointed to not find significant performance
boost with the DIAG driver. That's surprising because in theory there would
be a significant win with DIAG. (It is the only mode used by CMS, which gave
up CCW disk I/O decades ago.) But there was no penalty. I recommend it.

-- R; <><

On Jan 3, 2011 11:01 AM, "Samir Reddahi" <samir.redd...@securex.be> wrote:
> We have currently a couple of DB2 machines with logical volumes on MOD-9
> ECKD disks. On our DB2 production server we have mdcache enabled for the
> logical volumes that contains the DB2 data. The other servers have mdcache
> disabled.
>
> We already use the DIAG driver for the swap disks and the VDISKs. Now I'm
> looking if it is interesting to switch the other disks to DIAG too.
>
> Disks are currently formatted with cdl. I've read that cdl and DIAG can't
> work together so the disks have to be formatted to another format. We will
> be migrating to a new Z196 and a new DS8800, so I can use the downtime to
> switch the logical volume to an LV with DIAG disks
>
> a couple of questions:
>
> 1) Are there any disadvantages of formatting disks as ldl instead of cdl?
> 2) Is it true that /boot directory has to be located on a non-DIAG disk?
> 3) What kind of performance improvement can I expect from a move to DIAG
> dasd
> 4) Any disadvantages of using DIAG instead of ECKD?
>

> Best regards
> Samir Reddahi
>
> System Engineer | Systeem MF, AS400, DBA Operations
> T +32 9 235 61 09 | M +32 478 80 68 30
> samir.redd...@securex.be
>
> www.securex.be
>
> - Confidentiality Notice -
>
> This communication and the information it contains is intended (a) for the
person(s) or organization(s)
> named above and for no other person or organization, and (b) may be
confidential, legally privileged and