On Wednesday, 02/02/2011 at 11:42 EST, Mark Post <mp...@novell.com> wrote:
> > 1. Overwrite the z/VM-assigned MAC-address with a user-defined
> > MAC-address using an LLADDR-definition line
> > in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth<x>. Thus the MAC-address does not
> > change after LOGOUT.
>
> I would strongly recommend _not_ doing this on a z/VM guest.

I was probably remiss in not pointing out that z/VM 6.1 now has the
ability to "lock down" the MAC address assigned to a guest.
   VMLAN  MACPROTECT ON
and
   CP SET NIC <USER *|userid> vdev MACPROTECT ON

When you engage it, the guest can set only the assigned MAC address in the
virtual adapter, whether it is set dynamically by CP or statically via the
MACID option on the virtual device.

That makes overwriting the MAC impossible.

For completeness, a new VMLAN USERPREFIX option has been introduced so
that you can use different MAC prefixes for static MACIDs.

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices