Yeah, it sound weird. What I have is 72 files containing a lot of secuity data
from our z/OS RACF system. To save space, all these files are bzip2'ed - each
individually. I am writing some Perl scripts to process this data. The Perl
script basically reformats the data in such a way that I can put it easily into
a PostgreSQL database. If I want to run each Perl script individually, it is
simple:

bzcat data*bz2 | perl script1.pl | psql database
bzcat data*bz2 | perl script2.pl | psql database

and so on. I don't want to try to merge the scripts together into a single,
complicated, script. I like what I have in that regard. But I don't like
running the bzcat twice to feed into each Pel script. Is something like the
following possible?

mkfifo script1.fifo
mkfifo script2.fifo
bzcat data*bz2 | tee script1.fifo >script2.fifo &
perl script1.pl <script1.fifo &
perl script2.pl <script2.fifo &

???

What about more than two scripts concurrently? What about "n" scripts?

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group