We're walking through the IBM doc "Sharing and Maintaining SLES11 Linux
under z/VM using DCSSs and an NSS" but using EDEV FBA devices instead of
native CKD devices.  We've move to the point where we are making our first
cloned copy and are running into issues.

The original script identifies the CKD disk mount points, then uses
'dasdfmt' to format the destination CKD devices and 'dd' to do a block copy
from the source to the destination devices.  We've altered the script to
identify the FBA devices, format them with 'mkfs' and then use the 'dd' to
perform the block copy.  When we try to boot the cloned copy, we don't even
get the boot menu, it just fails with HCPGIR453W CP entered; program
interrupt loop.

If we copy the devices from within CMS using DDR, the destination server
boots successfully following the copy.

Does anyone successfully clone servers using scripts run from within a
running linux clone server for EDEV FBA devices?

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who has used EDEV FBA devices
to generate sles11 servers which share read-only portions of the boot & root
partitions without DCSS & NSS related to what they segment off for each
server to use read-write locally.  We think that's more likely the scenario
we would want to go with, but we are walking through the above named
document to get familiar with that method as a possibility.

Craig Collins
State of WI, DOA, DET