>>> On 3/9/2011 at 06:06 PM, Scott Rohling <scott.rohl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems the goal 'would' be to document 'every last thing that can be put
> in those files' to me as well..  Why code for it if you're not going to
> document it?   'Mystery features' and 'hacks' are for games  ;-)

I don't know.  Why doesn't IBM document every last machine instruction,
diagnose code, the QDIO architecture, etc.?  Some things you just want people
to use the documented interfaces for, and let the tools handle things.  Based
on the number of service requests I've had to handle for people that didn't
want to use the tools, but didn't spend the time to really understand the
internals, that's not an entirely ludicrous philosophy.  Personally, I would
prefer to see it all documented, but I'm not in charge.