On Wednesday, 03/09/2011 at 06:12 EST, Mark Post <mp...@novell.com> wrote:
> > Strange.  Then what would be the equivalent for SLES 11?  Doesn't
changing
> > it create a compatibility/upgrade problem?
>
> That would be a udev rule under /etc/udev/rules.d/.  You _really_ don't
want
> people editing those by hand.
>
> > I just find it strange the SOME of the parms are documented, but not
all.
> > Red Hat has the same issue.
>
> Send an email to linux...@de.ibm.com with your comments.  :)  They write
the
> Device Drivers manual.

I'm expressing my ignorance now.  I thought that the startup scripts that
read config files and construct the ifconfig commands were provided by the
distro and are not part of Linux, per se.  If that's the case, then IBM
would not document the existence or format of those files.

And the generic Device Drivers manual says that the udev rules are
distro-specific.  So are you saying that the network config files of the
SLES 10 era replaced by new udev rules in SLES 11?  And that, unlike days
of yore, you use some new utility or YaST to manipulate the udev rules?

Alan Altmark

z/VM and Linux on System z Consultant
IBM System Lab Services and Training
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices