Another point about PR/SM:

The more LPARs you have, the higher the PR/SM 'overhead'.  Which will affect
all your LPARs, not just the Linux ones.

Dave

Dave Stuart
Prin. Info. Systems Support Analyst
County of Ventura, CA
805-662-6731
david.stu...@ventura.org>>> "Rob van der Heij" <rvdh...@gmail.com> 4/6/2011
11:02 AM >>>
2011/4/6 Przemyslaw Kupisz <p.kup...@gmail.com>:
> Limit for z10 is 60 LPARs, so why just only 12 Linux images on 1 IFL?
> IMHO you can run 60 Linux images on 1 IFL.

This kind things happens when they deliver glossy brochures to people
living under a rock...:-)

For z/OS a popular LPAR configuration rule seems to be that you don't
want to assign logical CPUs and weight such that the LPAR has less
than 10% of the CPU. Maybe they transposed that rule freely. Or maybe
the customer had 5 IFLs and someone concluded that you thus can run 12
images per IFL.

One of the interesting side-effects of the 60 LPAR thing that I see is
peole running z/OS test systems on z/VM. They started to create more
z/OS images because they could, and found out it is almost impossible
to manage with the restrictions that PR/SM has. So once they were
spoiled by having many z/OS images, they were ready to go beyond that
point and take advantage of z/VM.

Rob