| Nowadays the company I am in uses the Cisco VPN which, at least, works
| on my ancient PowerPC PowerBook G4 as well as Windoze.

Works on Linux too.. there's a standard Cisco VPN client with most distros.
  With Ubuntu - it's as easy as a right click on the network icon and
selecting 'VPN'...

> I recall that the CIO's direction that all internal websites MUST be
> browser agnostic (is this still true?) was "fine" but the external
> travel planning site required M$'s InterNyet Exploder which meant you
> could not completely abandon Windows as a platform (dammit).  At least
> the Linux platform made good use of both cycles and RAM in the
> laptops.  (I sometmes miss the T42.)
>
> Yes - at this point IE is not required and it seems like Firefox is more
the 'norm' as the browser to use.   It's been awhile since any of the
business apps (like travel) including externals has required IE.   There are
still a few things out on the intranet I run across that want IE - but
nothing business critical.

All in all - I think we've done an excellent job though - the best I'm aware
of for any major company..  I've been running with a Linux laptop the last 4
years and even at clients it hasn't been an issue (though sometimes the
folks that scan laptops before allowing you to connect will scratch their
heads).

Scott Rohling