I too wish IBM would push Linux harder internally ..  I've been running
Ubuntu with the IBM 'layers' on my laptop and don't find anything I can't
do.  One difference is the AGN Dialer..  Windows still offers modem support
and callin numbers last time I looked -- but on Linux - you strictly use the
'existing connection'.   WebSphere Everyplace was abandoned as far as I
know..  it was cool.. but it also had security issues - I remember
suspending my laptop and still being connected when I resumed with a new IP
address.. which sounds neat but isn't secure.

I use Linux on all my personal and work machines.. and am very happy.  I
still do keep a Windows partition around and some Windows virtual machines
for the rare times I have to use it..   which may be why the push to Linux
within IBM isn't done with more force.  If we're going to have an MS license
for 'just in case' -- then there's no incentive to move off of it for most
people.  Staying compatible with our clients is definitely a factor too.
<shrug>

I do think it's great how IBM has allowed us to expand beyond the c4eb
install (which was/is fedora based?).  I like Debian and being able to use
Ubuntu and point to IBM repositories for the extra stuff is great..

Scott Rohling