I would bet it just has to time out.  I know NFS and SMBFS can hold on for
quite a while before giving up the ghost.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Bauer,
Bobby (NIH/CIT) [E]
Sent: Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:21 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Why does zLinux die on a bad fstab entry?

I recently had a typo in fstab for a new file system I tried to add and my
system would not come back up. Thanks to everybody for helping me out and
getting my system back without a major recovery effort.

Any reason why zLinux dies when it finds a bad entry in fstab even though the
filesystem is not needed to bring the system up? Do other linux/unix system do
this? Seems a little short on error recovery but then I'm speaking as an old
MVS dinosaur.

Bobby Bauer
Center for Information Technology
National Institutes of Health
Bethesda, MD 20892-5628
301-594-7474

Please see the following link for the BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee E-mail
disclaimer:  http://www.bcbst.com/email_disclaimer.shtm