For mounting network filesystems this can be true... but for a local disk
(which I'm pretty sure is the case here) - you are either put into a
recovery shell or it won't come up at all and you have to recover by other
means.  Depends on what the error in your fstab is and what fsck option you
have coded.

Scott Rohling