We are conducting a proof of concept for one of our divisions. This includes
DB/2 9.7 and Suse 10 SP 3 with CKD dasd.

The first opportunity is the defines of tablespaces. In our x86 environment,
this runs in less that 3-4 minutes (yes, there are a lot of tables). In our
z/Linux guest that same set of defined runs in about 3-4 HOURS!. The only thing
we have seen as far as activity is a very large number of disk I/O's to dasd.
The tables define approx. 800-900 GB. What we think we are seeing is that the
table spaces are being formatted.

We have tried the "no file system caching" option on the define, but is flagged
as an invalid option. IBM is saying that this is the default, but after the
tables are defined and we look at the tables, we see that the option is turned
on. If we then try to turn it off, it is again flagged as an invalid option.

Are there any other options that we can use?

George Shedlock Jr
AEGON Information Technology
AEGON USA
502-560-3541